Friday, November 7, 2008

My Babe ( Soft coral Sarcophyton)...:P

Let me introduce my babe Sarcophyton to u all... I forgot to take its pic to u all.. So i just got some pics from the Internet...<_>.. Dr. Khoo (my co-supervisor, chemistry lecturer) collected those soft coral from the Port Dickson..haha.I didn't follow him to collect those corals coz i'm not a strong swimmer. A person not a strong swimmer advised not go to sea collect soft coral, if any accident he might sue by my parents..hoho.. Oh yahoor.. I havent explain wat is the purpose of collected Sarcophyton from the sea..haha..I not officially a master student in UTAR yet(still the same uni..haha), Since i very very very free, so I decided to doing some readings and observations while waiting for the Scholarship there to approve... sienz..Then i just told my supervisor (Dr.Sit) that i want to start early, he said okay then he gave me some briefing about the extraction method and differences between marine and plant extracts during freeze drying.. Marine organism must be frozen after collected it coz its quite easy to oxidise and reduce spoilage and chemical degradation. Plant must be fresh or air dried. My title was roughly about Bio assay of plant extract or marine organism extract for antimicrobial activity. Let me show u some pretty pics of Sarcophyton before I cut it into pieces.. So pity the soft coral.. Before I cut it into pieces, soft coral quite smelly and looks like "cow's tongue". When we handle or cut the marine organism we must wear gloves for safety because there may be some strong irritants (may cause immediate itching and rash formation in some individuals), tumor promoting properties and others harmful effect. But some how marine organisms rich of biological active compounds that we need extract from it. This was because natural products are spiked due to their low cost, availability from renewable sources, low toxicity and complete biodegradable.


Looks like "cow tongue" pink colour tongue.haha



This one more look like my babe "Sarcophyton" haha..



After that, the current master student asked me to cut the coral into cube pieces.. When i cut it, its secreted lots of mucus like "milo" and sticky mucus.. Let see the body of the soft coral.. cham and it die coz cut by me..haiz..

This was the body of sarcophyton.. Cham..killed by me..haha..



This was its mucus (maybe toxin secreted by soft coral).
I keep on squeezed on it..Coz the mucus keep on secreted out.
The end.. I will keep on updated my research.. Now still free coz the freeze drying machine broke down again and my co supervisor sent to other uni for freeze drying. Cheers and have a nice weekend everyone.. :P

1 comment:

cklim said...

wow..cool look fwd to hearing from you more on your research,..haha, i jz harvested my plant material, and immersed them in plant material, hopefully can get something in the coming future, cheers...every research hv its value, and with the purpose to improve quality of life, living and environment.."a basic definition of science in our primary sku..haha"